Photo credit: Copyright ©️ 2022 Radhika Meadows. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
The Parish Church of St Oswald’s, Norbury was consecrated on 16, May 1934, formed from the existing parishes of All Saint’s, Upper Norwood and St Paul’s, Thornton Heath. Situated in London SW16 in the London Borough of Croydon, the church lies just a mile south of Streatham and in the foothills of Upper Norwood. We belong to the North Croydon Deanery of Southwark Diocese.
Genuinely blessed with a striking church and grounds*, our church can accommodate up to 300 people - offering us ample space for Sunday worship and church life, alongside baptisms, weddings, funerals, music recitals and school carol services.
(*Designed by the architects Caroe & Passmore in the Byzantine manner)
Photo credit: Copyright ©️ John Bruce. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
We gladly carry the name of Saint Oswald (c 604 – 5 August 642), the seventh century King of Northumbria (634-642). He ruled over Northumbria after a period of exile and after defeating the British ruler Cadwallon ap Cadfan to reunite the two kingdoms of Northumbria (Bernicia and Deira) under one ruler. He is however best known for his work to promote and spread Christianity throughout his kingdom. Oswald was a missionary king.
Each August, we honour our patron saint’s commitment to Christ with patronal day festivities – a chance for the church to come together to worship, share, eat and celebrate! More importantly, we bear his name and share his mission to imprint the footsteps of Jesus upon our parish of Norbury.